We’re grateful to have the chance to share our experiences and help others to think about living differently! Here’s a collection of outside perspectives, looking in on our life afloat.
- Our family was interviewed by Megyn Kelly on TODAY show program, an unforgettable opportunity (click to play the ten minute segment, above).
- This Business Insider video tells our story through interview on board Totem, including cool drone footage!
- Vlogging/podcasting family from Keep Your Daydream hung out on board in Larchmont, NY, testing out trading their RV for a boat.
- The crew talks about life afloat in a series of eight videos filmed aboard Totem by our friends on SV Delos, including personal interviews with the kids about what it’s like (link from image below).
- A beautiful, short film by Aline Escalon about our family: everyday life, why we do what we do. Filmed in beautiful locations around the Indian Ocean.
- Media picking up our story in July 2018 include Inside Edition and the UK’s Daily Mail.
- CNBC‘s Darla Mercado included us in her story about “How to live on a boat without going broke.”
- Fantastic article in Quartz media that reflects on our experiences in eight+ years of sailing around the world as a family: why we chose the cruising life, how it’s affected us as people.
- Spinsheet shared our Cruising Coaching services, in the April issue of Chesapeake Bay’s premier boating magazine.
- A birthday welcome to Florida: greeted at the dock in Jacksonville by the Florida Times-Union. Matt’s article captures our family perfectly, and Will took some great pictures of life on board.
- Reflections on eight years cruising (and some lovely photographs) in an article from The Westerly Sun, from an interview on board during our summer of 2016 respite in the Mystic River, Connecticut.
- Sea Magazine interviewed with us for their July 2014 issue.
- The New York Times solicited our opinion on boating with young children for their section, In Transit: A Guide to Intelligent Travel.
- When we stopped over in Bali, Captain Su interviewed us for The Bali Advertiser, Bali’s English language newspaper (see his blog for more stories about yachting in Indonesia).
- A patient reporter with MSNBC’s “Today” stuck with us through some sketchy Skype connections in French Polynesia to interview our family for a story about families who travel and learn as a lifestyle.
- My alma mater, Connecticut College, did a nice write up for their magazine when we’d been out for about a year.
- Our hometown newspaper, the Bainbridge Island Review, has a nice story and pictures from our departure.
- Great talk with Nathaniel from the Daily Travel Podcast. Tried not to be intimidated that his prior sailor interview was Laura Dekker.
- We chatted with Teddy from SailLoot about the cost of cruising for his podcast series.
- Totem’s story is covered in a feature about family bloggers by Muses & Visionaries magazine.
- The supremely affable Erik Hemingway recorded an interview with us for his Family Adventure Podcast.
- We chatted with Vivienne McNeny of The Sociable Homeschooler podcast about boat schooling on Totem.
- David Anderson invited us onto The Sailing Podcast when we finally found “skypeable internet” in Indonesia.
- Contributed to Ditching Suburbia‘s reflections on Richer Education, one of their pillars of the alt-living away from the ‘burbs.
- Alt/tiny-living journalist talks about our crew going on 11 years cruising in The Wayward Home.
- Huffington Post blogger we met by chance in Mystic wrote about Not Back to School for the Totem kids.
- Totem is featured in “Inside Travelers Walls” on Goodie Goodie Gumdrop, a series that looks at ways full-time traveling families nurture a sense of home… while not necessarily being at home.
- We talked about worldschooling and Epic Education on Jason Jenkins’ podcast of the same name.
- Boats & Outboards UK named us one of their Top 20 Sailing Blogs – wow, thanks guys! This list has most of my favorite bloggers on it- very flattered to be included.
- Totem is featured as a case study in Rolf Pott’s Vagabonding blog, a great resource for information on destinations and insights to lifestyle travel.
- The awesome Interview With A Cruiser project included us in their series.
- Our family was included in a documentary called American Dream about people who opt out of consumer-driven lives.