We love sharing our enthusiasm for cruising, and this year we’re planning a number of seminars and events. Wanna meet up?
- February – March: cruising seminars (Banderas Bay, Mexico) and PPJ events
- April: Annapolis Boat Show
- October: Annapolis Boat Show
Panama and Mexico PPJ events
The “Pacific Puddle Jump” is how cruisers leaving North America refer to the big passage to French Polynesia. The loosely organized rally backed by Latitude 38 and organized by Andy Turpin, hosts events at the major jumping-off points in Mexico and Panama. We’re excited to participate in these three bon voyage parties. We’ll be there as cheerleaders for our fellow cruisers: we’ll also provide practical information about South Pacific passage weather, on how to use PredictWind tools to route safely and comfortably across what for many is their first major passage.
These events aren’t restricted to boats registered for the rally: any sailor planning the passage to French Polynesia and beyond is welcomed to attend, learn from sponsors (others include F), celebrate their plans with fellow voyagers. Just RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to attend!
- February 28: Radisson Amador, Panama City
- March 1: Shelter Bay Marina, Colon, Panama
- March 4: Vallarta Yacht Club, Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Banderas Bay, Mexico: cruiser seminars
Totem is spending most of the 2019 winter in Banderas Bay, Mexico. We’re anchored off La Cruz, and a bus ride away from Puerto Vallarta. The cruiser fleet largely bases around La Cruz, where we’ll share from our experience with the fleet in a variety of ways.
La Cruz seminars, at Marina Riviera Nayarit VIP lounge, 3pm:
- Feb 5: Ten Years Around the World: a family circumnavigation
- Feb 6: Splicing class (11am)
- Feb 12: Rudders & Rigs: when big things break (with Mike from PV Sailing)
- Feb 13: Splicing class (11am)
- Feb 15: PPJ weather (with Mike from PV Sailing)
- Feb 19: GRIB interpretation: common errors; tuning Offshore downloads
- Feb 22: Passage planning: prepping boat and crew for safe, comfortable passages
- Feb 26: Sails & rigging: understand main causes of problems, and how to prevent/address them
- March 5: Efficient passage making: routing passages for comfort and efficiency
- March 8: South Pacific 101: a fun tour through island groups, especially west of Fr. Polynesia
- March 12: Documentation: what you need, and discussion of international clearances
- March 15: Provisioning: strategies for managing, and when to deep provision; notes on South Pac provisions
“Pacific Puddle Jump” meetings, weekly on Thursdays at 2pm at Cruisers Comfort lounge in La Cruz.
Joining when we can! Find the Cruisers Comfort lounge by either walking down Calle Tiburon (dirt road that fronts Ana Banana’s), or taking the stairs behind the parking lot at the port captain to PV Sailing; look for signs.
Nuevo Vallarta cruiser roundtable presentations, at Vallarta Yacht Club in Paradise village, 3pm:
- March 25: Storms, Pirates, Disasters at Sea: addressing the biggest pre-cruising fears
- March 28: Ten Years Around the World: a family circumnavigation
Annapolis Spring Sailboat Show: April 25-28
Jamie and I will be speaking again at spring and fall Annapolis boat shows this year. Both the spring and fall shows include meetups with our coaching clients: a fun night out for pizza dinner within walking distance from the venue.
Our spring sessions (and links to seminar details) are posted on the website – and tickets are already on sale, for the show and for our Cruisers U seminars! Topics in Annapolis.
- Cruising Women – Behan’s 2-day Master Class with Pam Wall
- Cruising on a Budget – Silver, Gold, & Platinum
- Top Newbie Cruising Mistakes
- What Me Worry? Putting Your Cruising Fears to Rest
- Safety at Sea (Jamie’s double session)
- Splicing & Whipping
- Route Planning
- Offshore Rigging & Sails – When Things Go Wrong
US Sailboat Show (Annapolis): October 7-14
Cruisers University is October 7-10; the boat show show runs October 10-14. Behan and Pam Wall will reprise their two-day Cruising Women master class at Cruisers University. This could be your LAST CHANCE for the women’s class with Behan & Pam, if Totem goes to the South Pacific in 2020 as we expect! The fall show schedule is typically available by late May or early June. For more information, visit AnnapolisBoatShows.com.
Keep in touch, and drop us a note if we’ll see you at a show – or if you’d like us to speak to your organization!