Does the freedom of cruising call you? Wondering how to realize the dream, choose the boat, prepare (without going broke!), stay safe, or just better understand what it’s really like? We’re mentoring people to answer those questions, whether they’d like to explore a familiar coastline or sail around the world.
What can we help you with?
We draw from depth and breadth of cruising and professional experience to offer thoughtful guidance unique to individual circumstances. These are ten common areas:
- Choosing the right boat
- Right-sizing a boat purchase and “all in” budget
- Budget planning for active cruising (including all our expenditure details)
- Skills building, such as weather, routing, piloting, and more
- Avoiding common pitfalls that end cruising prematurely
- Transition from land life to cruising
- Safety and security concerns
- Avoiding refit woe – spending to much money and on the wrong things
- 24/7 family togetherness and being happy about it!
- What it’s like living overseas: healthcare, banking, staying in touch, and eating
How does it work?
Monthly engagement starts with a video call (up to 90 minutes); it typically includes at least one more call via Skype, Facetime, Whatsapp, or other channels, based on your needs. You are encouraged to email questions we can respond to between calls.
Calls can be 8am – 8pm our time (Pacific until late this year); weekends or weekdays.
Coaching clients are invited to a closed Facebook group that includes additional resources, training tools, and discussion of real-time concerns.
To get started, start by returning this brief questionnaire (Word, PDF) to inform us about your experience, goals, and concerns. Contact us for availability. Submit payment via PayPal, then we’ll find a time for our first session.
- One month: $150
- Three month retainer: $300
- Annual retainer: $1000
- Karma pricing: Thin in the wallet? Us too. Tell us what you can do and we’ll help. Feeling flush? Our rates are absurdly low relative to the hours invested. We appreciate clients who can afford to pay the “real world” rate for our consulting service.
There is no substitute for instructed learning on your own boat. Fundamental skills of cruising often have unexpected challenges or happen out of range of professional help. From learning stress-less anchoring to teaching you how to inspect your rigging, we can help you start cruising with better skills and more confidence.
Hands-on learning topics we help cruisers with include:
- Pre- and post- purchase boat evaluation
- Rigging and sails inspection
- Sail trim and sail handling
- Anchoring techniques
- Navigation and piloting
- Managed and electrical and water resources
- Weather routing guidance
- Debriefing experiences to improve sailing smarts
Rate: $50/work-hour plus travel expenses. Subject to our availability; a fee may apply if extended downtime is required for travel.
In their own words: how working with us has helped clients reach their cruising goals.
About Behan & Jamie
Jamie was previously a professional sailor and sailmaker with extensive racing experience. Behan is a former tech marketer and co-author of Voyaging with Kids. Together they sailed thousands of miles with babies aboard in Puget Sound, then tens of thousands of miles more while cruising around the world with their family. In April 2018 they completed a circumnavigation, and continue cruising today.
Whether setting off on a sailing sabbatical or open-ended cruising lifestyle, we can help guide you along this unscripted course.