Tradition for the fun of it

20121026021041
It was just a little tickle on my neck, but something made me give it a flick instead of a scratch. Good thing, too, because instead of aggravating the little scorpion that perched there I knocked it to the cabin sole- and I ended up with a nip instead of a serious injury.

The little brown scorpion had jumped from a large stem of bananas (200+ bananas!) that I was cleaning and cutting into hands, the gift of a generous family back in Panapompom Island. It all worked out, but how could we have avoided a scorpion in the first place? Well, had we paid attention to maritime superstitions, that banana stalk where it was hiding wouldn’t have been on board in the first place: sailor’s superstition says it’s bad luck.

It turns out, a bananas are one of many things that are said to bring bad luck to a boat. Nautical tradition is full of superstitions, and we ascribe to many of them. But we do this because it’s fun, and not because we’re superstitious. Mostly.

DSC_2282A line-crossing ceremony is said to bring good luck to the sailor marking a first crossing of the equator. Well, it’s also a lot of fun, and we did it for that reason- and because it invoked tradition, and gave us stories to tell and recall. When we splashed Totem from the Satun shipyard, a string of firecrackers sent us off with a bang. It’s a sound year hear near fishing ports in this part of the world: fishermen looking for good luck and a safe voyage. And maybe it does, but either way, it’s a celebratory way to mark an event. Boaters everywhere love naming ceremonies when a boat’s name is changed, but I’m pretty sure that’s mostly because we all love a good party.

DSC_2286

We’re certainly never going to kill an Albatross, but I don’t think it’s unlucky- just stupid. Whistling is supposed to be bad luck but we think it’s a fine way to pass time on watch. And my husband would like to know: how exactly are woman unlucky on board? He’s been very lucky with a woman onboard.

But you’ll often hear me say “touch wood’ (and I do!), I tend toward triaphilia (things come in threes), and my sailor’s superstition is this: I will never depart for a significant voyage on a Friday. There have been times when weather and timing pointed to Friday, and we might have departed, but Saturday looked fine as well… and so we waited in port an extra day. Is it rational? No, but it sticks, and if I’m honest about it there’s a little more than the love of maritime tradition. The HMS Friday tale is fiction, but the Christmas tree ship isn’t.

The question of sailor’s superstitions afloat came from LOOK insurance. They’re running a survey about it, and I’m curious to find out: am I an outlier? Or in a herd of Friday-avoiders? Share your superstition… or lack of them. We’ll see when LOOK shares the results.

DSC_8575

And meanwhile, do I wish we’d left those bananas behind? No, but I wish we’d taken the smart, practical measure of dunking it in saltwater for several minute before bringing it on board! It’s common knowledge that creepy crawlies hang out in these big stalks of fruit.

Even the most pragmatic readers know it’s fantastic luck to click through to the Sailfeed post.

8 Responses to Tradition for the fun of it

1. Brittany January 12, 2015 at 9:38 pm #

I am with you! I definitely look for the “threes” in things, if the weather window covers Friday AND Saturday we’ll leave on Saturday (but we will leave on Friday if not – mother nature > superstition on our boat), and I am ALWAYS touching wood! You never know, right? 😉

2. Kelley - Sailing Chance January 13, 2015 at 10:15 am #

I’m definitely with you on the lack of superstitions, but my boyfriend is very much opposite of me. Makes for an interesting dynamic 🙂 Although, in life I believe in the “threes” thing, its not just for sailors!

3. Dini January 14, 2015 at 3:24 pm #

I’m with Brittany – leaving on Saturday only if it looks just as good as a Friday. Most of the time we have no clue what weekday it is anyway;) We didn’t change Happy Dancer’s name because we didn’t wanna lift the mast out to change the coin underneath – nor did we wanna tickle superstition ’cause that moment you are caught in a storm out there – I don’t wanna have any ‘should’ves’ racing through my head. So medium-superstitious I’d say;) xx

4. Piet January 17, 2015 at 7:12 am #

“And my husband would like to know: how exactly are woman unlucky on board? He’s been very lucky with a woman onboard.”

He is a VERY lucky man indeed… 🙂

In times long past when ships were large and wooden they would be manned by all sorts of individuals who were less then honorable. Long voyages ’caused many a man to dream of the ladies. If there was a honorable women onboard, the men would fight to have the lady which meant possibly killing the husband or seriously injured which would typically be the Captain or owner. (Bad Luck)

The flip-side to this is that it is considered to be lucky to have a naked lady onboard. 😉

• Behan January 22, 2015 at 6:38 am #

Haha- thank you for appreciating my double entendre!

5. Sheralyn January 18, 2015 at 4:37 pm #

I am a hardcore follower of the whole “touch wood” thing. I do it all the time. The rational part of me knows it can’t possibly make a difference, but my grandparents did it, my mom did it, and now, so do I. Can’t help it! lol

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Sailing Superstitions | Sailing Chance - January 15, 2015

[…] of bananas and welcoming the sun with a nice whistled tune. The superstitions I abide by tend to be more for the fun of tradition, as opposed to from an actual belief that these sailing myths will truly determine the outcome of a […]

2. Sailing Superstitions - March 7, 2015