Landfall in Australia!

Totem is in Australia! Our passage from Noumea to Coffs was a little shy of 900 miles, and Totem rocketed here in five days + 1 hour. It was near ideal conditions for us (average around 20 knots with apparent mostly square on the beam), and the most comfortable sea state we’ve had in a long time. How delightful to have reasonably predictable swells from a single direction… trust me… those bi- and tri- directionals are no picnic.

We’re taking some time to recover, but plan to head for Sydney as soon as we’re rested up and the weather allows. Meanwhile, I’m going to dribble out a series of posts from my log during the passage.
coming into Coffs Harbour
Jamie scanning the Coffs Harbour entrance

9 Responses to Landfall in Australia!

1. Diane, Evan and Maia November 13, 2010 at 6:50 am #

yay!!!! Much love to all the Totemites on your fab accomplishment. We need to plan a Skype catch up chat soon:)

2. Seven C's November 13, 2010 at 7:38 am #

Congrats! Too cool!
    That is great that you had such good conditions for the crossing!

3. Brian November 13, 2010 at 7:59 am #

Congratulations! Brian & JoDon s/v El Regalo

4. Brad November 13, 2010 at 11:13 am #

Welcome to the land of OZ! Remember just about every bug and or reptile is poisonous. sounds like a great passage!

5. boatbaby November 13, 2010 at 8:27 pm #

Yay!!! I am so excited for you all! Can’t wait to hear about the passage and your plans to come.

6. Joanne November 14, 2010 at 1:07 am #

I am so excited that you are finally there and I can’t wait to hear about your adventures Down Under!

7. Positano November 14, 2010 at 8:08 am #

So happy the crossing was fast and the winds were good. Big hugs from CO. Do you have good folks to connect with in Australia? ping me if you’d like introductions.

8. Jim and Heather on Meerkat November 15, 2010 at 5:22 am #

Yay! Sounds incredible.
    On a sidenote, we watched that video you posted on the “Stuff” and wanting to not have all that “Stuff”. Very well done – I agree with it wholeheartedly! And I had never noticed that all the politicians call us “consumers” – ugh. What a wonderful choice you made 🙂
    Just wish we were still out there too. Enjoy!

9. Sara Johnson November 15, 2010 at 11:32 am #

Congratulations on arriving safely! What an amazing accomplishment. Our whole family has enjoyed reading about your journey across the Pacific…can’t wait to hear about your adventures in Oz!