After years of planning and dreaming, it feels pretty amazing to have smoothly finished the move on board our sailboat. That we’re soon to depart on an open ended journey as a family still leaves me wondering if I’m dreaming!
We’ve found that sharing the news of our impending, open-ended travels prompts concerns about our sanity, followed by a pretty standard set of questions. To help, here’s a shortlist of our answers; apply to your questions as desired:
2. 47 foot sloop
3. Six months. Six years. Who knows?
5. Originally thought we’d sell, but the real estate crash intervened.
6. Pirates are in predictable areas, looking for Big Money boats. We will avoid both of these risk factors.
7. Sure, storms are scary. So are car accidents.
8. Routine maintenance in exotic locations
9. Semi-retirement, whatever that is.
10. Why not?
We do hope to update this site slightly more often than it has been…aiming for weekly position reports, and pictures when we have bandwidth (remember, we’re talking rural Mexico and central America for most of the next 18 months). And meanwhile, we’re taking names for crew, visitors, or babysitters to go down the California coast (October) or hang out in Mexico and points beyond.